Monday, September 12, 2011

Segregation of Hospitals- Spoiler Alert (pg 176)

On page 176, Aibileen describes and experience she previously had taking care of a little white boy. They were fixing a fan, and he badly hurt his fingers and was losing a lot of blood. When she took him to the bf hospital, the black doctor refused to operate on him because he was white even though he was severely injured. I'm pretty sure that a white hospital would never operate on a black person, so it's not a huge surprise that the black hospital wouldn't do the same, but what do you guys think? Is this segregation right? Someone could die because they don't have immediate access to medical attention.

3 comments:

  1. I totally think this is segregation, I was reading a couple weeks ago about this thing they call reverse racism, which implies a black being rasist towards a white person, which I think is rasist and stupid in its self, it makes no sense. Anyway, I think that is just awful, cause if a little boy was in a fairly critical condition, are you just gonna let him suffer, instead of opperating on him? Wow, times have changed sooooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand how any doctor could do that. They're trained to save people, and how to save people like even if the person is white they should still operate on him! He's losing a sufficient amount of blood and could easily die! Aibileen is lucky that he didn't cut his hand off or something or else he'd surely bleed out. I just can't believe that this is what America used to be like! It's unbelievable how much we've changed!! For the better in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this part, and to be honest, I would have expected it at a white hospital, but it surprises me that that happened at the black one. I mean they know what it feels like, so you would think that they wouldn't do that to someone else. I'd also like to hope that the doctor knew it wasn't like he was dying right in front of him. I mean that I'd like to hope that if he was really in a severe/critical condition, that he would do something about it.

    ReplyDelete