Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Help

Once again, i really enjoyed reading the pages assigned to us this week.
I thought it was funny that Aibileen mentioned that she wanted to read "To Kill a Mockingbird". Since the book was about the south and racism, I thought it was a nice connection.
I was happy to see that Aibileen finally agreed to be interviewed for Skeeter's book but also a bit disapointed that he very opinionated Minny did not come forward at first. The amount of courage it took was an huge amount. Another main point I found in the assigned pages was the letter that Hilly sent out, claiming that by getting a seperate bathroom you would rid your self of "colored" germs. This really shocked me even though we had seen examples of the racism and hatred in the 60s, that it was this bad 50 years ago.


5 comments:

  1. I agree...it is very alarming and sad to see how bad it got. I am also thinking how while we mostly just here about To Kill a Mockingbird and The Help as books about racism in the south, there must be other books as well written that we do not here about. Maybe do you think any of them were like the type that Skeeter's book is going to be like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but for some reason I think that TKAM wasn't as like, intese as The Help is... Maybe it's because we weren't seeing things from the black peoples points of view, or maybe because Atticus wasn't racist.

    Does anyone else feel that way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, TKAM didnt really focus on racism, but I think the kids were shielded from some of it by Atticus's open points of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That exactly what I meant to say, I just wrote it badly....
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, also, i think its interesting how the unit that our books are supposed to correspond to is about gender identity, but the most prominent stereotype in the Help is about racism. As we keep reading, I think that the gender stereotypes will become clearer, or we'll have to find them for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete